For 2024, you can elect the de minimis safe harbor to expense assets costing $2,500 or less ($5,000 with audited financial statements or similar).
The term “safe-harbor” means that the IRS will accept your expensing of the qualified assets if you properly abided by the safe-harbor rules.
Three benefits of safe harbor
- Safe-harbor expensing is superior to Section 179 expensing and depreciation because you don’t have the recapture period that can complicate your taxes
- Safe-harbor expensing simplifies your tax and business records because you don’t have the assets cluttering your books
- The safe-harbor does not reduce your overall ceiling on Section 179 expensing
How safe harbor works
For example, you’re a small business that elects the $2,500 ceiling for safe-harbor expensing, and you buy two desks costing $2,100 each. On the invoice, you see the quantity “two” and the total cost of $4,200, plus sales tax of $378 and a $200 delivery and setup charge, for a total of $4,778.
Before this safe-harbor, you would have capitalized each desk at $2,389 ($4,778 ÷ 2) and then either Section 179 expensed or depreciated it. You would have kept the desks in your depreciation schedule until you disposed of them.
With the safe-harbor, you expense the desks as office supplies—your tax records life is easier.
To benefit from the safe-harbor, you and your tax preparer (meaning us) do a two-step process.
It works like this
- Step 1—you. For safe-harbor protection, you must have in place an accounting policy—at the beginning of the tax year—that requires expensing an amount of your choosing, up to the $2,500 or $5,000 limit.
- Step 2—us. When we prepare your tax return, we make the election on your tax return for you to use safe-harbor expensing. We do this with an election statement on your federal tax return and then file that tax return by the due date (including extensions)
If you want to use this safe-harbor in 2024, you need your accounting policy in place on January 1.
How We Can Help
Sterling Tax and Accounting is here to help your business with tax planning! Our comprehensive approach to tax planning helps reduce your overall tax liability and keep more money in your pocket. If all your accountant does is file your taxes, chances are they are making you pay more than your fair share of taxes.
Learn how to proactively save on taxes by scheduling a call with our tax planning specialists.
Our tax planning, accounting & business services help you stay on track. Sterling Tax & Accounting will work with you to optimize your business and minimize your taxes. We will work to provide you and your business with the tools and resources you need to build a solid tax and business foundation. We’re a trusted CPA Firm in Sarasota, Florida. We serve clients all over the US, and proactively work to minimize their taxes.
Welcome to the Sterling Standard of business! Want to learn more? Schedule a meeting with our tax planning team here: https://www.sterling.cpa/contact-us/
Learn how Sterling Tax & Accounting can add value to your business!
Your virtual accounting and technology experts providing back office, compliance & strategic solutions for busy professionals.