Tags: Income Tax, Sarasota Accountant, Sarasota Accounting, Sarasota Accounting Firm, Sarasota CPA, Sarasota IRS Problems, Sarasota Quickbooks Online, Sarasota Small Business Accounting, Sarasota Small Business CPA, Sarasota Tax Accountant, Sarasota Tax Planning, Sarasota Tax Problems, Sarasota Tax Returns, Small Business Accounting Sarasota, Small Business Bookkeeping
This is likely it—your last chance to obtain first- and second-draw Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) monies.
A new law, the PPP Extension Act of 2021, extends the expiration date to the later of May 31 or when the money runs out. Note the phrase “when the money runs out,” and be forewarned that this can happen within weeks. So don’t procrastinate—not even for one day.
If you qualify for the first-draw PPP money, complete your application now. The money is going to run out fast—and once it’s gone, so is the PPP. Legislatively, the new round for the PPP ends on May 31. The clock ticks.
You qualify for the PPP if any of the following are true:
- You file your taxes on Schedule C of your tax return. Businesses that file on Schedule C include independent contractors, single-member LLCs, proprietorships, and statutory employees, such as life insurance salespeople.
- You file your taxes on Schedule F (ranchers and farmers).
- You are a general partner in a partnership, but the partnership asks for and receives the money based on your and the other partners’ combined self-employment incomes, as adjusted.
- You operate as an S corporation.
- You operate as a C corporation
- You are the only worker in the business.
- You have employees whom you pay on a W-2.
If you qualify, you want the PPP. It’s a much-needed, tax-free cash infusion. It’s called a loan, but it’s not. You have to repay loans. The PPP does not have to be repaid—it’s forgiven.
Plus, expenses paid with this forgiven PPP loan are tax-deductible.
Learn how Sterling Tax & Accounting can add value to your business!
Your virtual accounting and technology experts providing back office, compliance & strategic solutions for busy professionals.