All small-business owners with one to 49 employees should have a medical plan for their business. Save with these year-end medical plan strategies.
Sure, it’s true that with 49 or fewer employees, the tax law does not require you to have a plan, but you should.
When you have 49 or fewer employees, most medical plan tax rules are straightforward. Here are your year-end medical plan strategies.
Here are six opportunities for you to consider:
- Make sure to claim the federal tax credit equal to 100 percent of the required (2020) and the voluntary (2021) emergency sick leave and emergency family leave payments. You likely made payments that qualify for the credits.
- If you have a Section 105 plan in place and have not been reimbursing expenses monthly, do a reimbursement now to get your 2022 deductions, and then put yourself on a monthly reimbursement schedule in 2023.
- If you want to implement a Qualified Small Employer Health Reimbursement Arrangement (QSEHRA) but you have not yet done so, make sure to get that done correctly now. You are late, so you could suffer that $50-per-employee penalty should your lateness be found out.
- But if you are thinking of the QSEHRA and want to help your employees with more money and flexibility, consider the Individual Coverage Health Reimbursement Arrangement (ICHRA). It’s got more advantages.
- If you operate your business as an S corporation and want an above-the-line tax deduction for the cost of your health insurance, you need the S corporation to (a) pay for or reimburse you for the health insurance and (b) put that insurance cost on your W-2. Make sure the reimbursement happens before December 31 and you have the reimbursement set up to show on the W-2.
- Claim the tax credit for the group health insurance you give your employees. If you provide your employees with group health insurance, see whether your pay structure and number of employees put you in a position to claim a 50 percent tax credit for some or all of the monies you paid for health insurance in 2022 and possibly in prior years.
How We Can Help
Sterling Tax and Accounting is here to help your business with tax planning! Our comprehensive approach to tax planning helps reduce your overall tax liability and keep more money in your pocket. If all your accountant does is file your taxes, chances are they are making you pay more than your fair share of taxes.
Learn how to proactively save on taxes by scheduling a call with our tax planning specialists.
Our tax planning, accounting & business services help you stay on track. Sterling Tax & Accounting will work with you to optimize your business and minimize your taxes. We will work to provide you and your business with the tools and resources you need to build a solid tax and business foundation. We’re a trusted CPA Firm in Sarasota, Florida. We serve clients all over the US, and proactively work to minimize their taxes.
Welcome to the Sterling Standard of business! Want to learn more? Schedule a meeting with our tax planning team here: https://www.sterling.cpa/contact-us/
Learn how Sterling Tax & Accounting can add value to your business!
Your virtual accounting and technology experts providing back office, compliance & strategic solutions for busy professionals.